Monday, January 31, 2011

Mustard

{warning: this is a very looong post about a mustard, watermelon, and a closet}
So last weekend i dove into the finishing touch on a project that has been in the works for almost a year. I know... i work verrrry slooooww. You see, you have to be very careful taking your eye off of my baby, or something like this could indeed happen... and it did. Whilst i was putting the last coat of paint on my closet.
But he was just havin' hims~sewf some watermewon...
Okay, on to the dresser. We bought this dresser for Kaden when he was on his way to our family. Nic stained it, and we put it in his nursery. It has been a great dresser, and this last year when we bought the boys new furniture I hated to see it go. So we moved it out to the garage, and there it stayed, gathering dust for the past few months, until...
I brought him in, sanded him down, and gave him a shiny new coat of paint. 'Mustard Seed' to be exact. I love mustard, it holds a special place in my heart. When I was a little girl I would make myself mustard sandwiches {of the yellow variety~ I've now moved on to Dijon}. When I was in high school I talked my parents into painting my bedroom mustard yellow~ thanks guys! for letting me do my thing. I was so sad to say goodbye, but this paint brought back some happy memories...
It looks a lot brighter in these photos than in 'real life.' More like Cassie's car 'sunshine.' But trust me, it is quite luxurious.
Here he is, all put back together and sporting some new knobs. I bought these forever ago too, when 'hobby wobby'{Parker's pronunciation} had them half off. Waiting for the next knob sale to purchase the rest:)
So what did I plan to do with him, you ask? Well, Nic and I could use some more drawer space in our newly de~cluttered, re~organized, re~painted closet. What I am about to show you is frightening... viewer discretion is advised.
I know. Sorry, but I had to show you the 'before' for the full effect. Then, there was the purging process... holy cow! both of us were quite ashamed at what was coming out of the wood work. Stuff neither of us had worn since our sophomore year... of high school! Yikes.
Aaahh... after taking 8 large black garbage bags to the D.I. it was time for me to get to work...
The rest of our master bedroom/bathroom we had 'promashionally' {kaden pronunciation} textured, and painted. But I figured this measly ol' closet was a job for mu ah {that's me}. This kind of stuff is right up my ally... i love a good project! Pretty sure I drive Nic bonkers.
Once the putty had dried, I gave all of those shelves and base~boards a shiny new coat of white paint. Felt so good, and clean. Then on to the wall color...
This was about the time of the watermelon incident... a.k.a. my M.O.T.Y. {mother of the year award} moment.
Looks better, eh?
Following this picture, i vacuumed up the remainder of that paint dust. Promise:) And then it was time to move back in...
This time, minus the excess. Nic's section...
My new necklace hanger from Anthro. I was so excited to hang it that i got impatient {me? impatient? nooo...} and made Nic hang it with these black screws... I'll have to fix that:)
And a closer view... it makes me happy:)
My section... muchas better.
And the dresser, in his rightful spot...
And now you have seen my madness... but oh, it feels so good to have that project behind me. And a clean closet. Now if we can just keep it that way!

8 comments:

Gage and Missy!! said...

I love the yellow! So cute! And the closet looks fabulous! Way to go!

Adam and Brittany said...

I love that color! So fun. Good job on your project...sometimes you have to let your kids make messes like that just so you can get something accomplished ;)

Carly said...

LOVE that dresser. Someday I'll get the courage (and skill) to redo all our old, ugly, hand-me-down furniture.

Sharstin said...

oh mustard is my FaVV! and your closet looks so fab girly! way to go!

moellendorf family said...

I love that dresser, you might need to come help your sis with her house, and we LOVE parker fret, he just has so much fun, love you guys

JC PIERCE said...

1- love the watermelon! We had a similar incident with lotion and powder. Yikes!
2- Love the dresser, come do mine.
3- Your messy closet makes me love you even more!
4- The Roots beanie is a nice touch, which one of you wore it?
5- Your clean/organized closet rocks! Come do mine :)

Sherice said...

That's why I love you Jamie~ you've seen me at my worst! and love me regardless. Thanks love:)

Brandon and Angela Hoopes said...

Oh my goodness! That watermelon incident reminds me of when my brothers decided to roll a watermelon down our stairs! And I'm jealous of your "new" closet. I need to do that to mine.