I'm not even sure how this latest laundry room re-do came to pass...I think it all started when I got the itch to paint those cabinets white. It is a pretty beensie room, and it was feeling sort of dark and dreary. I mean, who wants a dark and dreary laundry room? Laundry is daunting enough as it is, may as well do it in a cheery room, eh? So I disassembled those cabinets{a little nervously, i must admit} and got to town refinishing them in a shiny coat of white~
Next, I decided to brighten up those walls! After a first coat of pale yellow I was not sold, and went with this pale blue instead...
cabinets before~
cabinets after~ ah, happy:)
This chalkboard/coat hook wall we actually put up a couple years ago, so the kiddos would have a place to doodle, and hang their school garb. It has been a fun addition~
a preview of what this room uuuusually looks like, unfortunately. Although, I have to say it has been much more intising to keep it clean now;)
and after~
While we're speaking laundry, I have to send a shout out to the homemade detergent recipe I found on pinterest. I have been using it for several months now, and am quite enjoying it!Recipe found here. I've altered it a bit, to 1 1/2 c. of the washing soda, and borax, to one bar of Fels Naptha. Super easy, huge money saver, and just makes me feel better knowing what's in it!
Another favorite is this lavender water~ instruction here.

And a little bit, goes a long way! You only need between one and two tablespoons per batch, depending on what it is you are washing.
Another favorite is this lavender water~ instruction here.

11 comments:
So lovely. I think anything you can do to make laundry fun is a good idea.
I'm intrigued by your detergent. I might have to test that business out!
K...I'm a bit inspired about laundry now! Well, just a wee bit! WOWZERS...laundry room redo...cheerful and fun! My artroom cabinets are the same color...plan to paint them white. Did you use anything special? Fun chalkboard and child area! And I'm with Libby...need to check out the homemade detergent! Cheers to laundry! :)
You have got to have the cutest home! You are always fixing up things so cute! I love it. I need to learn some things from you.
:)
You have been busy lady! It is so bright and cheery, love it! Homemade marshmallow and now detergent! You are fab!
Lauren, in case you check back~ The cabinets were actually a trial and error thing. I ended up spraying them (tried brushing at first, and was not happy with the outcome;) If I had a sprayer I would have used that, but alas I don't, so I used Rustoleum spray paint(seems to coat better) So the steps:
1- sand wood, just enough to rough up the finish.
2- spray primer, I just needed one coat, use best judgement;)
3- spray paint
4- finish off with a coat of spray Matte clear finish (i used all Rustoleum)
And there you have it! Put them all back together, and voila~
you are the cutest! Darling room. I can't wait till my laundry is finished, someday! its in our semi unfinished basement. Love it! and I've been wanting to try homemade laundry soap, my kids have eczema, wonder if this would help??
Love you laundry room makeover! And I've been thinking about making my own laundry soap, but the recipe I have is for liquid. I like your powder recipe better! Sounds soooooo easy!
Hey Sherice, it's Jade Gibb, Caroline's friend. Your blog is so cute and I LOVE your laundry room!! Will you please teach me? I still can't stop thinking about that cute table you painted!
Félicitations, je viens de découvrir votre blog. Vous avez une jolie famille.
Salutations
Mélanie (Paris-France)
Thanks for stopping by, and for your sweet comment Melanie!
Oh and what do you use your lavender water for? I LOVE the smell
Post a Comment