Thursday, October 9, 2008

My First Canning Experience

I figured it was about time that I learned how to can. I have always watched my Mom do it, and I now know why I would see her start in the morning, and still be hard at work into the evening. It is a long day's work. So the other day, my Mom came out and gave me a demonstration on how to do it. We did a couple jars just so I could get the hang of it, and I thought...'that wasn't so bad.' So a couple days, and two bushels of fruit later...my sisters and I went to work canning peaches and tomatoes.
That is one huge tomato...
My darling sisters Candace and Cassie... Hard at work pealing peaches.
The kids stayed entertained. Our thoughts were, "By any means necessary."
Halli enjoying her 'usgetti'...

Kade worked all day on this awesome lego ship.
funny story of the day:
The girls had been outside playing in the backyard. They came in and said they needed to get their swimsuits on. We explained that summer was over, it was a tiny bit chilly, and there was no water to swim in. Well, they persisted. And we, being in the middle of a canning mess said, "fine, if it will keep you happy, go get your suits on." So they adorned their cute little bodies with swim gear and went back outside. A few minutes later we could hear the sound of running water. We looked at each other, and rushed out the back door to find this...

They had drug the little ladybug sand box down from the deck to the grass, turned on the hose, and drug it over to fill their 'pool'. What can I say, these two are very independent. At one point we even attempted a "group nap"... Ha Ha. Fat chance!! That's a lot of cute littles in one big bed.

The day was a great success, and a great party. The kids had a blast, we Mom's had a blast, and in the end...we had around 50 quarts of beautiful, yummy peaches and tomatoes. Thanks girls for the great day... I'm already looking forward to next year!!

12 comments:

Gage and Missy!! said...

SO fun! I love canning! Your jars look gorgeous! Way to go! Don't you feel so domestic?!!

Bonnie said...

Good job Sherice! After doing things like this, don't you just feel a sense of accomplishment? Happy eating this winter!

The Brownings said...

Nice I'm jealous...I don't think I could ever do that. I told Candace we just gave our peaches and tomatoes to my Mother in law and she canned them for us! lol

nspency said...

Way to go Sherice! I've never canned either and every year at this time I always tell Chad I want to try it but it never happens. Maybe next year. Good job!

Kelli said...

Next year you need to help me!! I love canned peaches!! Nothing is better!!

Jenni said...

Way to go, cause canning actually sucks!!! I love the fresh canned food, but sometimes I wonder if it is worth it??? You are too cute and it makes me sick that you even look darling while you can food, HOW??

Miss Candace said...

That was so much fun! It will have to be our tradition. Thanks for letting us let loose in your house! We'll never forget that fun memory of our first canning experience!

Becka and Bennett said...

Look at you Sherice, your going all pioneer on me! hahah! I love it. Nothing like doing that stuff with your sisters! You guys are so cute!

Jamie said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Manny and I can strawberry jam every year and that makes a big mess, so I can only imagine what tomatoes can do!!!

Jamie said...

Wow!!! That is a lot of work, but always so much funner with friends or family to make the time fly. I love the picture of all the little ones in bed together. Very cute kids. I keep saying that I am going to can something, but I guess I am just piling up a bunch of should of would of could ofs

Mindi D said...

Good job! I am seriously soo proud! We did peaches one Friday and salsa the next! To get them both done in one day is INCREDIBLE!! I am impressed! I miss you, i can't decide if this blogging is a good thing or not, it's nice to keep in touch but then it makes me think we are 'in touch' so i never call you. :( I'll have to do better and blogging and calling! Love ya!

Graham Family said...

Do you have 2 sisters? I have 2 older sisters and we did the same thing together. although we didn't do peaches this year. We ended up with 14 dz tomatoes. A lot of work but so worth it to have yummy tomatoes in meals. Congrats on learning to can.
Alissa