Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Grandma

A couple weeks ago, we lost our sweet Grandma. Words really can not express how much I loved, respected, appreciated, and valued this wonderful lady. She was always consistent, happy, and loved by everyone around her. I know this is such a beautiful thing for her, to be reunited with so many loved ones, and my sweet Grandpa.
{this picture was Easter brunch a couple years ago}
The funeral was a beautiful celebration of her good life. Each of her grandchildren had the opportunity to share some of our favorite memories. It was difficult to narrow it down because I have almost 32 years of memories with my Grandma, but such a great opportunity to think over her life and recall many wonderful moments with her.

When I was young, I loved going to visit my Grandma and spent a lot of time at her
house. We would color, bake cakes, sew pillows, swing on her amazing swing set, build forts, rent videos (of the VHS variety), have cousin sleepovers, and try new candy recipes. As you can imagine, these activities would create quite a mess, but she never seemed to mind. Grandma was fun, and taught me so much. She was a firm believer in the idea that 'Grandma's should always have cookies in the cookie jar.' She loved to share recipes, and I agree that recipes are meant to be shared. She would sit in her rocking chair, prop us up on her knee, and sing “rock a bye, don’t you cry, you can go to grammy’s. Up the hill, by the mill, to see the little lambie’s.” She said this is what her Dad would sing to her when she was little, and one of the only memories she had of him. My Grandma was there for us when my dad was in his accident. She would get us ready, and take us to and pick us up from school. And as difficult as that time in my life was, I know that being with her made it okay. She was selfless, always putting others before herself.

Grandma had a zest for life, and made many fun memories with friends and family. She loved having her family all together, and would plan family dinners to the Greenery and Cracker Barrel, or even getaways to Jackson Hole. Family was most important to her, and we never had to doubt that. The greatest thing my Grandma ever did for me, was be there for me when I was married to Nic in the temple. I was nervous, and felt alone, but it was so comforting to have her there with me. I know that she had a hand in getting me to the temple that day, and I am forever grateful for that.

I have fun memories of her coming to the salon every Thursday morning at 10:30 to get her hair done. She would most often show up with a treat for the kids, something from the bakery. Following the salon, she would make her weekly stop to Maple Gardens for her chinese take-out that she would pick on for the next few days. I know she made each of us grand-kids feel special in our own way, and was always there for us no matter what. She was loyal, trustworthy, kind, and very giving.

Grandma loved her great grandchildren, and would always say, “Oh, they grow so fast. Enjoy.” With a big smile on her face. The last memory I have of her at her house was taking the kids over in their costumes a few years ago on Halloween for donuts and hot apple cider. Such a fun memory of her buzzing around her kitchen, attending to everyone’s needs.

What an amazing woman my Grandma was. She was a little spicy, but mostly sweet. She had some fight in her, and had to be tough many times in her life. My Grandma was strong, faithful, and obedient. Always trying to do what was right. She truly lived the Gospel.

Just the other day I was visiting with her, and my kids were bouncing off the walls. She sat there with a smile on her face the whole time, and when I uneasily said, “My kids are a little bit wild.” Grandma looked at me and said, “Just the way I like em!” It was just what I needed to hear. I am forever grateful for her example. We all love her so much, and will miss her sweet spirit.

Until we meet again, sweet girl.
Loves, forever.
~xo

5 comments:

Libby said...

What a sweet remembrance of your grandma. I love that last part about "just the way I like em". So darling.

And so great that your kids got to know her and create some memories with her.

Brandi said...

I'm soooo sorry for your loss!!!!! Such a sweet grandma!!!!

Sharstin said...

Sorry for your loss girly. So glad you have so many great memories of your sweet grandma:) so glad you were able to celebrate her life.

FRYER FAM said...

sorry to hear of the loss of your gram. i love your sweet post of those wonderful memories.

The Brownings said...

I also love what Grandma said "Just the way I like em" Makes me happy :)