Monday, April 11, 2011

Conference Weekend~

Our conference weekend was filled to the brim~ cupcake orders to fill, soccer games to attend, visitors to enjoy, and wonderful messages to take in. I can't believe it is soccer season already~ wow! how time does fly.
After the games everyone was starving~ so Jimmy's it was. Anyone else as addicted to Jimmy Johns as we are? It is true love. And if you eat at Jimmy's, you must go next door to Menchie's and curb your sweet tooth. It has become our family hang~out.
Some bike~riding action...
And then we hosted some very special visitors...
The Ricamunda family. When I met Nic {11 years ago} he had just returned from his mission to the Philippines. He absolutely adored the Philippines, and of course, all of the wonderful people he met there. He would speak Tagalog, listen to their music, use their gestures, crave their food. On one of our first dates he cooked me chicken adobo, and made me fall in love with the Philippines right along with him. He spoke often of his friends, Ian being one of them. They have kept in touch all of these years, and when Nic heard that he was coming to Utah to attend General Conference he immediately began making plans to have Ian and his family over.
I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved them. They were so kind, down to earth, and fun.
This interaction between Ian's Mother and Rylie was so precious to me...
I meant for them to all sit at the kitchen table~ I promise I'm a better hostess than to just let them belly up to the bar, but it was actually perfect to just sit casually, visit, and laugh.
Old buds~ so fun to see them together. They kept telling each other they hadn't changed:) I was so grateful for the opportunity we had to spend time with them.
It is a night I will never forget.
After our guests left, we stayed up and attempted the ruffle~cake...
There's that pucker I love so much~
Umm... so the ruffles are a little harder than I expected~ and I expected them to be hard. Rylie was begging to color it with edible markers, and Parker wanted to douse it in Christmas sprinkles. It wasn't much to look at, but it sure did taste delicious!
I guess it looked kinda cute with a bunny next to it;)
And then Sunday morning we made our traditional
Conference Crepes
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. flour
2 eggs
1 T. oil
3 T. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
Whisk ingredients together in large bowl. Heat griddle, and pour 1/4 c. out, smoothing and spreading to desired thickness and size. When bubbly, flip and cook other side. Top with fresh fruit, whipped cream (i always add almond to my cream), cinnamon and sugar, almonds, yogurt, etc.
Enjoy!!
It was such a wonderful weekend~
My absolute favorite message from conference found here. I can not tell you how much I took from it {if you take the time to listen~ listen through the end. It is fabulous}.

p.s. Has anyone else had any issues with their browser's lately when it comes to posting and editing?? I am so frustrated~

3 comments:

Lauren said...

YOur ruffle cake looks fantastic! MMMMM!

Miss Candace said...

You got your new back splash, yay. It looks so good! Ry looks like a cake decorating pro. I think your cake turned out fantastic too!

Your visitors look so sweet, and I'm glad you got to meet them. It is so neat that Nic has those experiences to share with you and your kids.
So, I registered for the Pink race today. Yay, let's do it!!
Love ya!

Sharstin said...

what a fun weekend! and such sweet visitors:) your cupcakes & cake looks so yum! we are a crepe fam too! they are our favs!