Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Training

The other day I woke up knowing I had 5 miles to run. I knew snow was in the forecast, but was hoping that for some reason it would be a beautiful morning. As I peeked out my shutters, there it was...that white stuff...all over my grass. Yikes!! (as Kade would say) I laid back in my nice warm bed for a minute, but the nagging reminder that my half marathon is not getting any further away got me back out of bed and dressed in my gear. I stretched, poured 2 bowls of honey nut Cheerios's for Kaden and Rylie, and headed out the door. The snow was coming down, but I had been out in worse. I started to run and for the first time in a long while nothing hurt. It felt so good. As I continued on I got lost in thought (and the tunes on my i-pod). The only thing annoying me was the snow blowing into my face. By about the 3rd mile or so I looked down and saw the front of my black sweatshirt was caked with snow. I could feel warm tears running down my cold cheeks. Every once in a while a huge white flake would land on my cheek or the tip of my nose, and then slowly melt away. I was thinking to myself, why do I love this so much? Am I crazy? I should be home in my nice cozy bed, but instead I am out here pounding the pavement in the cold. Fast forward to today. It was beautiful, a little breezy, but such a nice day. I then realized why I train through all of those cold, miserable days. To get to the warm, beautiful days. Days that I head out early in the morning, and watch the sun rise up over the mountains. I never thought it would be, but running is just a part of me that I love so much. I love the sense of accomplishment it gives me. Especially on days that it feels like I've not been able to accomplish much else. Anyways, I am beginning to sense those warmer days becoming more and more prevalent and it makes me so flippin' excited! Can't wait to ditch the ear-muffs, gloves, and sweatshirts... I'm on the lookout for the perfect running skirt. That Salt Lake half is going to be here before I know it. That flu set me back a bit- but I am starting to make some progress again! Yay!

p.s. If anyone is interested in putting in for the St. George Marathon (April 1st) let me know. We can get a whole gang of us together- it would be so much stinkin' (you wonder where my kids get that) fun!!! Think it over :)

4 comments:

D'N K said...

Your amazing, I would have just got back in bed. I think I would like running. You never know maybe I'll be running with you in the future. I would love to live out by you, I just need your help. If you see a house for rent let me know. We need to find a place soon. Thanks Girl!

Mindi D said...

Do you put in for the St George on April 1 or is it on April 1? I'm confused. Anyway let me know. O wait i need to just call you, i will!!

Jenni said...

Jason was laughing so hard the other day... he ask me if you run in the snow and I said you did, he said he was tempted to stop and pick you up the other day because you looked miserable!!! Way to go! I have come to the conclusion that I am a 5K girl and that is it! Good luck on the training and races! I love ya!!!!!!!!!

Supalinds said...

Love it girl, soon the snow goes away for a really long time and you forget you ever ran in the snow in the first place! Although this year, it seems to be dragging on longer than usual. Are you doing SL or Ogden half? I can't remember what you told me?